Athletic Success Coach and Academic Advisor
Full Time - Entry Level
Xavier University is seeking qualified candidates for a full-time hourly position as an Athletic Success Coach and Academic Advisor in the Student-Athlete Academic Support Services office. The successful candidate will join a collaborative, student-centered team dedicated to the holistic support of student-athletes in an inclusive and diverse environment. The position provides success coaching and academic advising to the teams of women’s soccer, women’s golf, men’s and women’s tennis, and men’s and women’s cross country and track & field. The individual in this position oversees the student-athlete Study Table Program and is responsible for tracking and overseeing all award nominations (i.e. NCAA, Big East, Xavier) in addition to all community service. Additionally, this position may assist with the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC), the XSPY’s awards banquet, and the first year class for student-athletes. The position will report to the Assistant Director of Student-Athlete Academic Support Services.
This position includes the following responsibilities:
• Advises and supports undergraduate student-athletes in areas of course selection, registration, graduation and NCAA academic eligibility requirements;
• Serves as primary success coach to a caseload of student athletes and meets regularly with student athletes and all first-year students to monitor academic performance;
• Communicates with faculty members, coaches, and student-athletes regarding academic progress and NCAA academic eligibility requirements;
• Offers mentoring and success coaching to student-athletes on a regular basis on issues related to transitioning into college, navigating personal and interpersonal issues, personal development, and career exploration;
• Meets with prospective student athletes and families during official visits;
• Maintains regular contact and coordinates tutoring services for at-risk student-athletes on these teams;
• Develops a firm knowledge of campus support offices and refers student-athletes to appropriate campus resources, e.g. Bursar, Registrar, Career Development, Health and Wellness, Financial Aid, Disability Services, etc.
• Understands curriculum, policies, procedures, campus and community resources and shares information with students, as needed;
• Understands and is able to implement retention/persistence strategies for the designated student-athlete caseload;
• Serves as an advocate for student-athletes;
• Motivates students to make informed decisions that positively influence academic, personal, and professional development around topics such as time management, organization, career planning, test taking, study strategies, motivation, procrastination, and goal setting;
• Encourages students to form a connection to the campus that is consistent with their interests, goals, and development;
• Oversees the student-athlete Study Table Program including hiring and training of study table monitors, maintaining records of student table attendance, and communicating with athletic advisors, coaches, and student-athletes;
• Tracks community service completed by the student-athletes
• Coordinates all scholarship and award nominations from NCAA, Big East, Xavier University, and any other relevant awards;
• Assists in coordinating, organizing and implementing the XSPY’s award ceremony
• Other duties as assigned.
Founded in 1831, Xavier University is a Jesuit, Catholic university in Cincinnati, Ohio. Its three colleges offer 90 undergraduate majors, 62 minors and 43 graduate programs to 6,538 total students, including 4,633 undergraduates. The University is the sixth-oldest Catholic university in the nation and one of 28 Jesuit colleges and universities nationwide. - Recognized as one of the top 10 universities in the Midwest for the last 20 years by U.S. News & World Report, including a rank of fifth for 2015. - Named among “The Best 379 Colleges” in America by The Princeton Review. - Ranked No. 11 in Ohio among the “Best Values in Private Colleges” by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance. - Ranked first for having the best graduation rate among Midwest master’s-level colleges and universities.
All applications must be submitted via the Xavier Human Resources website no later than Monday November 27th, 2017. Please submit a resume, cover letter, and professional references.
Interested in posting a job with us? Click here!