Assistant Director of Business Operations
Full Time - Entry Level
Bachelor's or higher degree
The Assistant Director of Business Operations reports to the Associate Athletic Director for Business and is responsible for administering operational, financial, & business functions in support of the Department of Athletics mission. In addition, the Assistant Director of Business Operations implements existing policy & ensures the effective, compliant, & efficient completion of daily administrative operations.
Budget & Financial:
- Monitors open encumbrances & deficit chart strings.
- Reviews & reconciles actual expenses to budget per NU Audit guidelines.
- Ensures prompt payment of purchase order requests, vendor and contracted services payments, reimbursements, and other accounting transactions; researches errors/delayed transactions as needed.
- Prepare various accounting and financial reports. Creates spreadsheets, reports, charts, etc. based on information compiled from various sources. Determines format, elements, trends, etc.
- Review, copy, and file revenue deposits and journals.
- Create and reconcile cash advances for team travel.
- Assist with reconciling travel agency billing each month.
- Serve as liaison with Financial Operations to track, monitor, maintain, and dispose of capital equipment.
Communications & Outreach:
- Confirm ticketing and travel arrangements with the Department’s travel management company, Anthony Travel.
- Process Athletic Department orders for office supplies in iBuyNU; maintain office stock supply levels.
- Maintain and file all Business Office paperwork including expense reports, vouchers, purchase orders, reimbursements, cash advances, air travel, etc.
- Assist with ordering business cards and other stationary needs.
- Assist with booking lodging arrangements for recruits, job applicants, VIPs and athletic event officials.
- Serve as the liaison with the Department’s photocopier vendor and as the main contact within the Department for all day-to-day copier-related issues.
- Maintain excellent working relationships with area hotel staffs to facilitate the ability of these properties to meet all department needs in this area and to encourage sponsorships/trade agreements.
- Provide excellent customer service in-person, by phone and by e-mail to coaches, staff, and other constituents.
- Train new employees in University financial system, as well as correct use of forms for travel and purchasing. Assists in balancing accounts at close of fiscal year.
- Instruct and advise coaches and staff on appropriate courses of action in regards to inquiries concurrent with University policies and procedures, as well as NCAA rules and regulations. Follow through on coaches and staff requests and discuss appropriate actions with supervisor, as needed.
- Provide technical support for coaches and staff with computers and University financial system.
- Maintain working relationships with other University accounting and budgeting departments such as Accounts Payable, the Bursar’s Office, Accounting Services, Financial Systems and Purchasing.
- Responsible for adhering to all Department and University policies and procedures, as well as the rules, regulations, bylaws and interpretations of the Big Ten Conference and the NCAA.
- Other duties as assigned.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
To apply, please visit www.northwestern.edu/hr/careers
. Search for job opening ID 32531 in the Keywords field. Once you apply, you will receive an email confirming submission of your application.
Interested in posting a job with us? Click here!